It seems like it's been a long time since I last posted here, but I just looked on the calendar to see that it's only been 2 weeks. I guess being busy makes it seem like we packed several weeks into just the two that have passed.
The garden harvest has begun. Already we have more cucumbers and zucchini than we know what to do with. The tomatoes have started to turn red and we are most anxious to try the Brandy Boy tomato. Unfortunately, I think we are losing the battle against the bugs. The cucumbers and zucchini plants are suffering the most, and the tomatoes are fighting hard against something I can't identify. We plan to bring in some clippings to the Plant Doctor at the Missouri Botanical Garden to get some advice.
Last weekend, after harvesting some of our veggies, I thought I'd pick some of those wild berries we have along the tree line in our backyard. Mike had already picked some similar berries nearby and they we quite good. The day after I picked them, I discovered a poison ivy type of rash on my face and on my wrist. Good thing I was wearing pants, long sleeves, and gloves or else things might have been much worse. One week and half a bottle of calamine lotion later, the rash is nearly gone.
As if things couldn't have gotten worse after the rash, that same night I took a spill down the stairs in our house. A "spill" is really a euphemism...it was a hard hit. Really I was quite lucky. Nothing broken, but one VERY black and blue butt cheek.
On a happier note, the weather was amazing this weekend. Sun, clouds, breeze, and mid 70s. We took full advantage, visiting the Soulard Farmer's Market and then hiking yesterday. And today we went to the botanical garden. Hope this weather lasts through the week!
Pictures to be posted tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment