Monday, February 7, 2011

Coughing and Crawling

Blog entries are supposed to be short blurbs, frequently posted. Well, I seem to have trouble with the frequent part. There always seems to be other things in need of my typing fingers...noses wiped, diapers changed, trips to the rec center or grocery store, dishes washed, laundry folded...and frankly when I have time to update the blog, I'd much rather curl up on the couch after kids are in bed and wrap myself in the silence with a good book.

To help me remember the things I want to write in my next post, I've been jotting the ideas down on Post-Its and sticking them to my desk. Now I will attempt to bring you up to date by translating my scribbled notes.

Carter
The past month has really shown a HUGE improvement in Carter's verbal communication. I can't tell you how much this has helped us avoid a potential tantrum (not that those don't still happen). His vocabulary expands at light speed and he's starting to string words together. While he's still considered a little behind for his age (in verbal expression, but not in comprehension), his recent advances have given us a lot of confidence in him. Now, if only we could get him to learn words that lie outside the realm of trains. How many two-year-olds know what a gondola car is?

Tis the season for colds and Carter was the first to get hit hard in our family. He weathered it out without too much trouble, except for the food strike. When he's sick, there's very little that appeals to his appetite. Unless I bring french fries, cookies, or fruit to the table, I might as well toss it in the trash. Fortunately he's recovered and his appetite matches that of a linebacker. Yesterday's lunch included mac'n'cheese, green beans, an apple, handful of crackers, Nilla wafers, and because he was STILL hungry, an entire hamburger bun. (Hey, I ran out of ideas and needed to hit the grocery store, ok?)

Nora
The 9-month check-up took place without incident. Nora is in the >95% for height and weight, understandable seeing how she eats nearly as much as Carter. Unfortunately, she picked up the cold Carter had, only it wasn't just a cold for Nora. She developed a double ear infection with a respiratory virus. Her coughing was so bad she required nebulizer treatment at the doctor's office. We all went without sleep for a few days then, but after the treatment, she really improved. Whew!

On a more positive note, Nora has begun to crawl. And crawl she does! We've had to re-evaluate our baby-proofing and be more mindful about what's in her arms' reach. For example, she can shred paper faster than your standard office paper shredder. Carter's books have become her favorite targets. It's exciting to see her growing though...pulling herself up to standing at tables, babbling like crazy, feeding herself. I can't believe she's almost a year old already.

Us
Other things going on include swimming lessons for the kids at the rec center. Carter goes with Dad and Nora with me. The lessons are at the same time so I can look across the pool and catch a glimpse of Carter trying to escape from Dad. So far there's been mixed results, but we've got a few more weeks so hopefully the kids will get used to it.

Mike and I have been filling our free time by catching up on movies we missed in the theaters with our new Wi-fi Blu-Ray player. I've signed up for some photography classes and Mike has taken an interest in home brewing. We've also tapped one of the sugar maple trees in our yard to collect the sap. In a few weeks, we'll try boiling it down to make our own maple syrup. At the rate of our collection, we'll likely only have enough syrup for one morning of pancakes, but it's a start!

New pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=245105&id=1012296258&l=abd5b6bafb

New video below

No comments: