Sunday, May 10, 2009

First Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

Wow...it's been a long time since we last posted. I'm not sure I'll remember everything that's happened since the last post, but I'll do my best!

Let's start with the most recent. Today is my first official Mother's Day! Kind of puts a whole new perspective on the holiday. We celebrated by taking Carter on a picnic lunch at the local park. After a short walk with Carter in the backpack, we had lunch and then Carter had some fun in the swings at the playground.

After that, we came home and Mike looked after Carter for the rest of the afternoon while I planted our vegetable garden. I'm really pleased with how our seedlings turned out this year. I hope they do well in the ground too. However, I've noticed a few new tenants in our neighborhood. Since the day we moved in, I don't ever recall seeing any rabbits until this past week. I caught one scoping out our garden like it was a buffet. Extreme measures may become necessary if I spot any nibblers.

Carter and I have been doing more hikes and walks these past few weeks. Every Wednesday, we walk with a group of folks at Shaw Nature Reserve and admire all the native wildflowers. We've also hit some parks with our new sport utility jogging stroller (thank you Craigslist). Also, with the coming of summer, we've begun a tour of the area's farmer's markets. There are several smallish/mid-size markets throughout St. Louis, and also the huge Soulard Market. So far my favorite is the Tower Grove market. Maybe it was the perfect weather or the location in the park, but this market was so much fun to attend, and it had a great selection of goods.

Turkey season has come to an end and sadly Mike came home empty-handed. There's always next year though!

Carter still hasn't started crawling yet. He manages to get around a little with a combination of rolling, twisting, and spinning. But usually this effort ends in whining as he still would much rather stand on his feet and have us help him walk. He stands unsupported at the coffee table and some of his toys. But when he reaches for something, he forgets to move his feet and topples over. We've introduced some chunks of fruit and veggies. He seems to like watermelon and pineapple though the latter brings on a twist of his face with its sour taste.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am way behind on my picture posting but I'll get some online soon.