Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Getting Out to Play!

The days have finally warmed up and I have a legitimate excuse for not updating the blog so often. I can't believe all the rain we got this spring! Flooding is not something we need to worry about in our neighborhood, but even still...I was beginning to feel like my clothes needed wringing out even though I was only watching the downpour from the window. When the sun finally arrived, we burst out of the door and into the world! Just in the past couple of weeks, we've been to the Magic House, the Missouri Botanical Garden, Shaw Nature Reserve, the Museum of Transportation, and many local parks. So much nicer than staring at each other in the house.

Nora
It's official! Nora is walking! She had been cruising along the furniture for a couple months, but now she walks confidently everywhere. Usually she walks wherever Carter is happily playing by himself (screaming inevitably ensues). If she's not shadowing her big brother, she is looking at books. However the idea of books on bookshelves must be completely impractical in her mind. Each book must be individually examined and discarded on the floor before settling on one to page through. Perhaps she thinks she's "cleaning" the shelf? For the most part, Nora is also off baby food and eating table food. She's nearly weaned from her bottles too. I can't decide if this makes our lives more or less chaotic at meal times, but it's exciting to see her growing up. She's even beginning to talk a bit. The other day, Mike walked in the door after work and Nora shouted "Da-da!" She also says "Ma-Ma" and I swear today she tried to say "Snack".

Carter
Carter's conversation skills still continue to grow exponentially. He always surprises me with new words and phrases because while it may be the first time I've heard him say something in particular, he says it in a way the suggests he's known how to say it for months but was simply waiting for the right time. He's also started incorporating his train vocabulary to everyday situations. "Round the bend", a phrase frequently used by Thomas the Train, might be used by Carter while navigating around living room furniture. A few weeks ago, we got Carter a new sandbox to play in by the garden. This kid could spend an uninterrupted half hour just scooping sand with a shovel and filling a bucket. It's very serious work (according to him). Nora loves the sandbox too though she prefers to work without shovels and often pulls handfuls of sand out of Carter's freshly filled buckets.

Mike
Unfortunately Mike didn't get to bag a bird during the spring gobbler season. I'm really starting to think it's me that's the problem since he hasn't bagged one since we started dating. Does anyone know of an anti-turkey-jinx dance that I should be doing? Mike's been working hard making our yard one of the nicest in the neighborhood, which is no small feat! He's looking forward to his upcoming high school class reunion in a couple weeks, a chance to catch up with some old friends he hardly ever gets the chance to see.

Becca
After taking a year off of vegetable gardening (Nora's birth made it tough to get things in the ground last year), my green thumb has returned! We've got a nice vegetable garden this year and I'm really looking forward to harvesting things as they ripen. This year we planted TONS of tomatoes, at least 15 different varieties. There are also bell peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and artichokes. I also planted some rhubarb and asparagus in the hopes of establishing some long-term production (they are perennials). So far things are growing well and I am winning the battle against the deer and rabbits (Thank you Liquid Fence).

Hope everyone is doing well! We miss you all so much!

New photos on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1857314385241.260963.1012296258&l=31fde3a1fb

No comments: