What an amazing spring we have had this year! The weather has been absolutely perfect! We've already done every possible outdoor activity in the area and it's not even June yet!
I'm happy to report that I am no longer a bad luck charm. Mike's hunting perseverance finally paid off and he shot himself a turkey this year. We've had turkey for dinner a few times, prepared a few different ways, but the best was the fried turkey strips. Very, very good, despite the bit of lead I discovered with my teeth.
A couple weeks ago, I took a two-day nature photography class at Shaw Nature Reserve. I really enjoyed exploring Shaw in the early morning hours and I learned so much from the instructor. I don't often get to take nature photos like that without any distractions, and I soaked up the experience. Played with my new tripod too and got some really good shots.
I also got a chance to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity this past weekend. I help raise several walls on a brand new home. After a day of hammering, climbing ladders, hammering, shoveling rocks, hammering, hauling lumber, and more hammering, I thought my arm might fall off. But it was extremely satisfying to see all of the work that got done by a bunch of volunteers.
Also got our vegetable garden planted over the weekend. We scaled things back a bit this year, not as many plants to keep up with. Despite that, we still have several varieties of tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, okra, lettuce, zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash. Our asparagus is doing well and should be ready to harvest next year maybe. The rhubarb is struggling though. We may have to abandon it, which I hate to do because I love rhubarb!
This weekend, Grandma is coming to visit. We'll celebrate a late Mother's Day and eat some birthday cake. Then she'll be babysitting the kids while Mike and I get some long overdue couple time one a canoe float down the Big River. I am really looking forward to it. The weather looks to be nice and nothing beats the leisurely pace and the sounds of nature on the Big River.
I've officially registered Carter for preschool for this fall. Even though it's only three half-days a week, I get a little sad thinking about this big milestone. Soon he'll be texting his friends and out the door with a wave goodbye. I just want to squeeze him so tight and keep him to myself. (Sigh) I'm sure Nora will be thrilled with the change. She'll finally get Momma to herself...something she's probably longed for since her birth, judging by the way she literally fastens herself to me so we can't be separated.
The only real downer this spring has been the whole roof replacement experience. I suppose the company did a fine job getting things completed in a timely manner. But the first real rain revealed a leak right where our satellite dish is attached to the roof. The roofers cam back and resealed the area, but then our satellite reception no longer worked. Satellite repair guy comes out and is unable to fix it. Instead he installs a new dish in a different location, leaving the newly resealed dish base at the old location. Rather than deal with the roofers again, Mike and a friend got up there and removed the old base and re-shingled the whole area. Amazing. While we had some hail damage after last year's storms, we never had a single leak or problem with our old roof. Fix it, and we are up to our ears with problems. It never fails, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
New photos posted to Facebook. Click HERE to view.
No comments:
Post a Comment